Monday, December 7, 2009

Sharing is caring. Especially, with Jesus.

I feel bad for people who have Birthdays in December. Like, really bad. My brother-in-law Casey, My nephew Rykee baby and my Co-worker/Friend Debbie all have December birthdays. They've got to share their birthday month with Jesus of all people and they get a whole lotta "This is for your birthday AND Christmas" bullshit. Or the classic "Hey, what totally rad gift set did I get this year for Christmas that I'll never use, to wrap up and pass off as someones birthday present"

This year Casey told me he needed T-shirts. So, Being the wonderful sister-in-law that I am I went out *Read: cozied up to my computer for online shopping* and got him 2 T-Shirts I really think he'll like. (Since he was patient enough to reply back to all my texts consisting of "Do you like red?" "How about Element?" Or "If a shirt had a pink collar, would that turn you off?") I'm confident that our joint forces narrowed down two T's that Casey will actually wear.

Next was Ryken. His mom told me he needed toys and socks. I half way listened and got him a flannel, plaid, long-sleeved, hooded shirt and socks. His mother should thank me for only half way listening. I saved her an emergency room co-pay by NOT picking out a toy acceptable for a 1 year old to play with. I would have sprung for the "for ages 8 and up" toys with lots of choking hazards and sharp pieces because "It looked a helluva lot cooler than the lame toddler toys" Plus, plaid is totally the new black.

Deb, well, the jury is still out on deb. I picked her up a couple little things I knew she'd like... But it's kind of a collaborative effort between all the other females in the office to decide what she gets. I probably shouldn't post it on here anyway. Going against everything I believe; that no one reads this blog, she, just might.

Anyhow, I felt so accomplished to actually remember my December birthday people. Even though I think December birthdays should be against the law. Damn it, I remembered them.

I've got quite a busy month (As I'm sure everyone else does) So I sat down for 3.5 hours straight last Friday night and got all of my Christmas wrapping done. Then, It was time to wrap birthday gifts. SHIT. Birthday wrapping. I spent hours *read: minutes* scouring my house for acceptable birthday wrapping paper. I have none. It's also that time of year that I refuse to go anywhere to buy anything for anyone. (My refusal to bear the masses to get all of you December birthday bastards acceptable birthday wrapping does in NO WAY reflect my actual love for you.)

Casey's two T-shirts ended up being rolled into the shape of a burrito and wrapped in tissue paper. Since I don't have any Happy Birthday cards I just wrote directly on the tissue paper "Happy birthday burrito. From Erica, Brad and Floribertos"

I actually found a small box and some plain silver wrapping paper to wrap Ryken's gift in. That's birthday-ish, Right? His card is pretty lame though. I explained how "it's not really my fault his card is lame, it's his, because HE is the Christmas baby" all to him in a letter. Since he's 1, and can't read, I'm counting on his mother to convey my message.

To all of my December birthday peeps, no matter how on top of your birthday I might feel, Your gift will most likely, always be lacking in one way or another.

What else do you expect when you share a birthday with Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment