Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A gift card to the mortuary.

My big girl job deals in real estate transactions, so it's safe to say I see my fair share of Realtors.

Yesterday a certain agent came in and she was talking to me in her frantic-realtor-jibberish manor. Telling me things that didn't pertain in anyway to this particular transaction we were working together on and rattling off random facts.

I knew that my grandma (Nana) was the one who had listed the property and that she was doing it for free because her and this certain agent were like, best friends.

I went over the numbers with her on this transaction and showed her the bottom line figures she should expect from the sale of this property.

She said those figures were just about what she had figured and was so excited because she would be able to afford a gift certificate for my nana.

Naturally one would think $50.00 at chilis or a gift card for a mani/pedi.
So I asked "Aw, you're so sweet to do that, where are you getting her a gift certificate to?"

She said "The mortuary. I want it to be for $1,000.00 so these figures are great."
I'm pretty sure I looked like I'd just shit myself.
I thought:
A) What a fucked up gift.
B) Is that what best friends do now? Go in on each others plots?
C) She's got to be kidding me.

Then she quickly followed it up with: "Well you see honey, she always says how much she wants to get her daughter a real headstone. One she deserves since she doesn't really have one at all."

It took .5 seconds for that to register.
My eyes started to well with tears that I couldn't hold back.
She noticed.

Then it clicked with her. "Oh my god, that's your mother, I'm so sorry"
Through my ugly-cry voice and balls of wet tears rolling down my cheeks I told her to not be sorry and that was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard.

Still the very thought of this kind hearted, thoughtful act brings tears to my eyes.

With all the mass amounts of bullshit that I deal with in the industry I work in, I'm pretty sure this one thing makes the board even keel.